Finding and installing the prerequisites
Of course you need OpenCms itself.
To run OpenCms you need:
- A database system that is supported by OpenCms
- Java 1.5.x or higher (support for java V1.4 is disconnected)
- A servlet container (aka. 'servlet engine') that forms the basis for running OpenCms, look at tomcat
The most well-tested open source components for getting started with OpenCms are:
- Mysql, Version 4.0 or higher as database system
- Oracle Java, Version 1.5 or higher
- Jakarta Tomcat, Version 5.0 or higher as servlet container
It is not totally necessary, but a good idea to install a webserver like Apache, for handling all requests that arrive at your website.
Another optional component is Apache Portable Runtime, a set of libraries that increase Tomcat performance.